Are you taking pictures of a brand and are you wondering what does make a product stand out in advertising?
If this is the case, you should think on how products perfectly integrate in our daily life and how consumers perceive them. Many brands are part of our collective imagination like CocaCola, Apple, Levis and many more.
Advertising has changed a lot in the latest decades and Companies have created a strong relationship with consumers over the time. A part from models and testimonials, we’re now seeing real people advertising, often unknowingly, a product and being witnesses and promoters of brands.
A part from common people, brands love seeing the product in daily life instants. Some useful questions that you can make to yourself before starting your shooting are:
- Am I acquainted about the brand personality of this product?
- Am I able to reproduce the values that this brands communicate in costumers’s life?
Starting from the questions above you might dig and discover more about the brands perception before taking your photos. There are many ways to do that and one of these is visiting brands channels, like the website or social platforms where the Company talks to consumers through marketing campaigns. You will be able to see what does make the product recognizable. Once you understand that, you are ready to make the brand you shoot accessible through your shots to hundreds and hundreds of people and potential consumers.
When I say accessible, I mean you will be able to recreate the “feeling” that make the brand original and unique.
The first advice is: MEET THE BRANDS AND UNDERSTAND BRAND PERSONALITY.
Once ready, you should consider a short list of things that will help your work. If you receive a pic-up, a mission for a brand from us, you will be asked to Interact with the product and create a Story.
In Picwant, we look for images that tell a Story and, along with that, represent a daily life moment…
The examples above recreate the atmosphere related to a product in a daily life. In these cases people are not models or celebrities but they became brand’s testimonials. Close-ups and details are framed to leave space for the background where we can breath the context and feel the authenticity of the product.
The second advice is: CAPTURE BRANDS IN A DAILY LIFE
Let’s look together at some social media campaigns and let’s see how the first hints are true.
Looking some examples on how brands communicate, doesn’t only mean perceiving the brands but also taking inspiration for new ideas. If you want to be a photographer you need to be always up-to-date with new trends and up to edge with compelling ideas.
Some technical advices for any type of commercial images you are going to shot:
- Set the background nicely
- The situation you revoke helps consumers to recognize the familiar context. People and expressions must be measured on truly and genuine habits where costumers feel the product part of his/her life
- The light is very important. You might have a beautiful Concept ready to develop, but you don’t have the right light conditions. I would suggest then to decide carefully the best time to shoot your photos. In Spring and Summer the light can help you, but of course you need to be ready 365 days a year. Think in advance, don’t make the weather condition influence your work.
- Post-produce your photos if necessary. Don’t go too hard on your photos but use post-production apps if you feel it is important to improve your photos. Always remember not to exceed because apps can ruin the file resolution. File resolution always matters for clients!
Other significant aspects to be taken into consideration, if you are shooting a pic-up for us, unless differently stated in the request, are:
- Logo must be clearly seen in the picture
- Don’t mess up shooting more than one product in the same picture, but use one brand at time. Keep it simple because you don’t know if clients will appreciate the associations you create.
In the example above the third image out of four is the more licensable. With that, we are not saying that Companies don’t like seeing their products between others but, usually, when they want to be associated to other brands they clearly ask about it.
Brands love people. Take images of people living the happiness of the brand and always remember to make them sign for the release. Otherwise your photo can’t be used for commercial use.
Now you have some suggestions to start with for your next shooting. Feel free to organize your work as you want, the idea is not giving limits to creativity but set a kind of standard that can really make you improve your work.
And if you love videos then go for that too!
Do you have any question after reading? Drop us a comment! We’re happy to help you in being an outstanding commercial photographer.