In this post, we’ll give you some tips for Travel Photography, showing examples of good pictures and how to create good travel features that give an overview of a country.
Let’s start with a few general rules which you should consider when you want to create a travel photo shoot:
- it’s very important to plan your activities and research the main and the little known attractions, so that you are aware of the “right” interpretation all along, i.e. the vision you want to give.
- it is preferable to avoid black and white shots, because it’s important to show how the subject really is. The picture should highlight the best side of it and colors are an essential part. If you want to experiment with B&W, we suggest you to keep a color copy in any case.
- given that it depends on the destination, a complete travel feature offers landscapes/cityscapes, street shots, photos of local animals and vegetation, landmarks and attractions, shopping districts and shops, an overview of the transport, traditional food, the best restaurants, hotels and café, and curiosity or unusual locations you can see only there.
- if you want to focus on private places, such as national parks, zoo, aquarium, museums, restaurants (the interiors), etc., you can contact Picwant and ask for a press pass in order to have facilitations and permissions.
Here below, you find the categories mentioned above. We decided to show separate examples to be clearer, but several shots can belong to more groups.
It captures a large view of the countryside, mountains, sea, beach, desert, etc. The picture shows elements that are recognizable or make clear what place you’re looking at. You can add other shots of little known or hidden places to make the feature more engaging.
As in the landscape, the cityscape gives a wide view, but in this case the focus is on a city whose famous buildings or its other distinctive elements are clearly visible.
It’s very important to give a context of places and show habits and lifestyle of local people. So here’s where street shots come into play. There are some details to which you have to pay particular attention:
- if there are children in the street, it’s better not to include them in the shot. Or if you want to shoot them, the model release will be necessary.
- street portraits are great, but they also need the model release, unless you capture groups of people or there are five people at least and no one stands out more than the others (for instance a black and white photo where one person is in color), or one person in foreground and the other people out of focus in background
- blurring doesn’t count as trick to conceal people.
- these rules also apply to the buskers.
NOTE: it’s not necessary to use Picwant model release. For example, you can also film people giving their authorization.
This category includes national plants, typical flowers, national parks, farms, natural phenomenons, etc.
If the country offers rich and varied fauna, take the opportunity to shoot the native animals.
Landmarks and attractions
This group encompasses buildings, places or other elements that are easily recognized and give you immediately the idea where you are. More specifically: museums, monuments, government buildings, banks, religious architecture, etc. (take pictures only of the outdoor environment or remember to ask the permissions) and also the design, fashion or other special districts.
From the big, famous malls, to the typical small shops or potteries, from the open air markets to the luxury shops, etc. It’s also interesting to make known the local brands, those ones you can find only in that country. Note: if you want to take pictures of brands, make sure that your shot includes only the brand you chose.
Buses, trains, stations, airports, underground, taxi, car sharing service or local, typical means of transport.
You can capture still life of local dishes and beverages, or food in general, for instance street food (habits and specialties).
Restaurants, café, hotels
They help the tourists to choose the place to stay overnight, eat, have a coffee, a break, etc. and enjoy the nightlife.
Point out if there are special events and show through your pictures how they take place.
This is a varied category. You can think about souvenir, something record-breaking, particular anecdotes on the city, something rare or precious or unusual that you can find only there, etc.